There are a lot of problems in the world, and a lot of things that we can do better. Science has the incredible ability to bring people together in order to make a real difference, and this generation has the opportunity to do things differently. The Youth Science Alliance is a student-run organization and network focused on advocating and enabling youth’s usage of science as a vehicle for positive change. Through virtual idea summits, new techniques, findings, and proposed regulations will be discussed and debated. Through outreach events and workshops, the alliance aims to encourage students who are not yet young scientists to realize the power that science has, and in addition show students how science ‘skills’ can be used in the real world.
"Science has the incredible ability to bring people together in order to make a real difference"
The vision for this organization is a loosely organized alliance between highly motivated young scientists who advocate using the power of science to create positive change in our world. Through virtual and regional meetings between these young scientists, discussions of new techniques, findings, proposed regulations, and directions will be central. Through outreach events and workshops, the alliance will focus on getting youth to realize that science can be a tool used to change the world. Thus, the goal of this alliance is 3-fold.
- Collaborate: Connect and support a network of young scientists who are immanent changemakers within their fields
- Educate: Show students how ‘science skills’ can be used in the real world
- Inspire: Encourage youth within localized and global communities to realize the power of science to change the world.
- Unifying the efforts of student researchers to use science as a catalyst for change
- Connecting student researchers to create a community
- Encouraging students to work together to create change
- Show youth interested in science that the field is much more than just a ‘good career move’
- Overcoming stereotypes about science
- Gives students the opportunity to do real science hands-on
- Inspiring students to use science to change the world
- Explain to students and the general public how science can solve many of the world’s problems
6 Month Objectives:
- Accumulate a student support base of at least 50 fellows
- Reach students from at least 20 different states
- Reach at least 1000 students through social media
- Reach at least 1000 students through workshops and outreach events
- Teach science skills using donated equipment to at least 50 students
- Participate in no fewer than 5 events